Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Welcome

Hi all. Decided to put up a blog to do something during fieldwork, currently in the department of Canindeyú, Paraguay near the border of Brazil and downtown Asunción, the lovely and underappreciated capital of Paraguay. At the moment I'm in Canindeyú. I'll be here until December 8, 2005, thanks to the marvellous Wenner-Gren foundation (wennergren.org).

My current and overriding interests: Sertanejo and polka music (they are big down here), Peircean semiotics, language ideologies, dialogic emergence of culture, "ethnicity" and the ethnopoetics of everyday interaction, cultural contact, avoiding gunfire (just last Sunday...), trying my hand at basic French cooking, avoiding the large and small insects that live in the ocean of air in my little house (pictures to be uploaded soon), listening to community radio here in the subtropics, social theory, and...what I hope to be reading soon once I get back to the US, On the Problem of Empathy, by Edith Stein, one of the top students and assistants to Husserl who developed a phenomenology of the Other (apparently similar to Levinas but without the murderous desire) and who later became a Catholic saint after dying in Auschwitz (St. Teresia Benedicta ad Cruce). My hope in reading her is to see what connection there may be between her vision of embodied empathy and an socially informed theory of semiosis....hey, it's my blog. It won't all be like this. I also love listening to the BBC, which, alongside the Internet is a major distraction from going out and talking to people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home